PTLS (Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome) is a term, which is used to define various symptoms that occur after tubal ligation. Women often report symptoms like hot flushes, heavy bleeding, irritability, night sweats, cramps and mood swings. The symptoms are believed to be because of the changes in the hormone levels and the reason for the symptoms after tubal ligation is the disruption of blood circulation between the uterus and ovaries, which affects the creation of ovarian hormones. In this article, we shall discuss and learn the symptoms of post tubal ligation syndrome.
- Hot flushes, night sweats, chills
- Unbalanced or heavy or light periods, loss of libido, dry and itchy vagina
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Episodes of rapid heartbeats
- Tenderness in breasts, decrease in the mass of the breast
- Frequent headaches, dizziness, and loss of balance
- Mood swings, irritation, trouble sleeping at night
- Sore and aching joints, itchy skin
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Fatigue, trouble in concentrating, sudden memory lapse
- Rise in facial hair and thinning and loss of hair on head, pubic area and whole body
- Brittle fingernails that tend to crack faster
- Change in odour of breath, burning of tongue, Increase in gum bleeding, bad taste in the mouth.
Doctors vary in their opinions on post tubal ligation syndrome symptoms. They are not sure whether it can constitute to be a true syndrome. For nearly a decade, it has been a subject of debate in the medical world. Studies have shown contradictory ends on symptoms being very common in women who have undergone the tubal ligation than women who have not had tubal ligation process.
However, few women define their symptoms as PTLS and claim it as fact. They even debate that doctors should identify this as a real medical syndrome. Most of the women, who have undergone tubal ligation, are told by the doctors that the symptoms, which are developed after tubal ligation, should not be related to the surgery, but yet women report that they are not being taken seriously. Few doctors even suggest treatment with antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, birth control pills, hysterectomy or referral to a psychologist.
Proper counselling is required before undergoing tubal ligation. If any woman comes with the problems following female sterilization, she will be informed that the symptoms are in no way related to tubal ligation process. The basic intention of this article is to enlighten and promote awareness of post tubal ligation syndrome and the probabilities of tubal reparative surgery, which might be a solution to the problems.